Cape Coastal Homes Logo
You are here: Cape Coastal Homes / Latest News / Dealing With A Deceaseds Immovable Property

Dealing with a deceased's immovable property?


Dealing with a deceased's immovable property?

The legal requirements that ordinarily apply to the sale of land, also apply to property that is sold out of a deceased estate, namely that the agreement must be recorded in writing and be signed by both the seller and the buyer, either personally or by an agent authorised in writing to sign on that party’s behalf. 

Who has the authority to sign on behalf of a deceased person’s estate? Only an executor whose appointment has been confirmed by the Master of the High Court (in the form of a document, called the Letters of Executorship) may deal with the assets and liabilities of a deceased’s estate. A sale agreement signed on behalf of a deceased person’s estate by anyone other than the executor so appointed by the Master is void and poses no legal obligation on the executor to honour same once he has been issued with Letters of Executorship. The Master’s consent to the sale is required. 

For assistance in matters relating to deceased estates, contact STBB's Estate Administration Department.

Author STBB
Published 13 Nov 2017 / Views -
Disclaimer:  While every effort will be made to ensure that the information contained within the Cape Coastal Homes website is accurate and up to date, Cape Coastal Homes makes no warranty, representation or undertaking whether expressed or implied, nor do we assume any legal liability, whether direct or indirect, or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information. Prospective purchasers and tenants should make their own enquiries to verify the information contained herein.