Calypso Beach - Langebaan - Property Market Report 2018/9
Category Town & Suburb Reports - Langebaan
Calypso Beach Estate in Langebaan is a gated estate perfectly situated on the shore of Langebaan Lagoon with views of Saldanha Bay in the distance. A pathway running in front of the seafront houses is linked to various boardwalks, offering easy access to the beach.
This coupled to its proximity to Laguna Mall and schools have made Calypso Beach a popular estate for those buyers seeking convenience coupled with a relaxed lifestyle.
It is a fairly new estate, being only established in 2004, with the majority of plot sizes being around 350m2, which has lead to a large number of the houses being multi-storey, particularly those with sea views. All the plots are privately owned and the estate is managed by a Home Owner's Association.
- Calypso Beach Owner Profile / Demographics.
The average household income range in Calypso Beach according to Lightstone is R40 000 to R50 000 which average places the owners in the LSM 9 low group.
The period or tenure of ownership, which is a measure of ownership stability, shows that the existing owners who have owned their property for 11 or more years are 39% with another 11% having owned property for between 8 and 10 years. These combined figures of 50% having owned property for more than 8 years points to stability and owner satisfaction. The relatively high figure of 40% having owned their properties for less than 5 years is an indication that Calypso Beach is still a developing estate with new houses constantly being built.
The age profile of the stable owners in Calypso Beach shows that the majority of owners, 52%, fall in the mature age group, (50 - 64 years old), followed at 31% by the middle aged group (36 - 49 years old).
- Youth/Adult: (18-35 years) - 2%
- Middle Aged: (36-49 years) - 31%
- Mature: (50-64 years) - 52%
- Pensioner: (65 and older) - 15%
The recent buyers' age profile is interesting in that it shows high interest from the Youth/Adult and Mature groups separated by the relatively low interest from the middle aged group. However the 54% of property buyers represented by the combined two youngest groups versus the 33% of property owners represented by the same two groups appear to indicate that the average age of a property owner Calypso Beach is decreasing with the breakdown of recent buyers being as follows:
- Youth/Adult: (18-35 years) - 32%
- Middle Aged: (36-49 years) - 22%
- Mature: (50-64 years) - 36%
- Pensioner: (65 and older) - 10%
- Calypso Beach Real Estate Market - Property Types
Calypso Beach consists solely of own title or freehold houses.
Calypso Beach estate consists of 338 full title erven (plots) of which approximately 65% have been built on and it is expected that the estate will be almost completely built up in ten years..
- Property Sales In Calypso Beach
During the last 12 months, namely from March 2018 until February 2019 a total of 14 houses were sold at an average selling price of R3 046 000. These 14 house were in the following price brackets, 9 were sold between R1 500 000 and R3 000 000 and 5 were sold for more than R3 000 000.
During the last 12 months, namely from March 2018 until February 2019 a total of 29 vacant plots were sold at an average selling price of R626 000. These 29 vacant plots were in the following price brackets, 2 were sold below R400 000 at an average price of R260 000 and 26 were sold between R400 000 and R800.000 at an average price of R579 000 and one seafront property sold for R2 568 000.
Average & Top House Prices achieved in the 5 months October 2018 to February 2019:
- Average house price:. 4 Houses sold for an average price of R3 612 000.The highest price being realised was R7 000 000 with the lowest price being R1 750 000. The 3 top prices achieved were 16 Tenos Road for R7 000 000, 17 Casos Road for R3 600 000 and 61 Carpathos Road was sold for R2 100 000.
Average & Top Vacant Land Prices achieved in the 5 months October 2018 to February 2019
- Average vacant land price: 6 vacant plots sold for an average price of R921 000 of which 4 sold for R600 000 or above. The 3 top prices achieved were 15 Chios Close for R2 568 000, 10 Callithea Road for R650 000, and 5 Tenos Road for R630 000.
- Capital Growth
Median prices and capital growth for homes achieved:
- Calypso Beach's median prices for homes has during the last 7 years grown from R1 300 000 in 2012 to R2 800 000 in 2018 - i.e. an impressive growth of about 115.4% or about 16.5% a year
Median prices and capital growth for vacant land achieved:
- Calypso Beach's median prices for vacant land has during the last 7 years grown from R300 000 in 2012 to R535 000 in 2018 - i.e. a growth of about 78.3% or about 11.4% a year
When compared to the surrounding estates in Langebaan the median growth obtained in Calypso Beach places it on top of the rankings in Langebaan, followed by The Cove and then Langebaan Country Estate.
For more information about the available properties within Calypso Beach in Langebaan, please follow the link to our website.
Author: Lightstone / Noel van den Heuvel