Love loadshedding - its time to stop resisting what is out of your control and instead embrace it.
Category Home Owner Tips
Love loadshedding - it’s time to stop resisting what is out of your control and instead embrace the delight that it brings.
Load shedding is a challenge for many South Africans but perhaps it’s time to stop resisting what is out of your control and instead embrace the delight that it brings.
Without any power, there are less electronic devices to distract you.
There are plenty of reasons why we should love load shedding.
1. You’ve become more educated and aware of electricity usage, and how to lighten the load and your electricity bill.
2. You’re aware that you should use precious resources wisely, including water and food.
3. Load shedding has inspired and produced many entrepreneurial innovations such as the Geyser Controller.
The best thing about load shedding at night is star gazing in the stillness. Image courtesy of Shutterstock.
4. It pushes you to be more creative.
6. Load shedding forces you to stop and relax.
7. When the lights are out, you get to enjoy intimate candlelit evenings with family and friends.
8. Load shedding gives you a reason to braai.
9. You’re able to harness the power of the South African sun, which can help light up the dark night and saves on electricity when there is power.
Load shedding encourages you to be more mindful.
10. There are less electronic devices to distract you.
11. Load shedding creates opportunities to learn about generator alternatives, which you can simply plug into the wall socket. It charges the built-in battery and automatically switches in the inverter to supply power during load shedding.
12. When there’s no power, there’s no electricity coursing through the air around you.
13. It’s quieter.
14. The best thing about load shedding at night is star gazing in the stillness.
You love load shedding because you enjoy that little surge of excitement when the power comes back on again.
15. Load shedding encourages you to be more mindful.
16. You love load shedding because you enjoy that little surge of excitement when the power comes back on again.
Practical load shedding tips
On a practical note, remember to switch off (or unplug) all appliances immediately when the power goes off, either at the plug or electricity board. This will protect them from the surge of power when the electricity comes back on again.
Preparation is key. Enjoy the forced downtime, and invest in energy saving LED lighting, products and appliances.
Author: R. Bulgin